Governor Corbett has released the recommendations of the 2012 Manufacturing Advisory Council. The report lists some facts on page two about Pennsylvania’s manufacturing:
- Manufacturing employs 574,000 Pennsylvanians, accounting for 10% of the total workforce.
- Manufacturing employment has shown job creation in each of the last two years.
- Manufacturing productivity outperforms non-manufacturing by 23%.
- Each manufacturing job in PA contributes on average $131,147 to gross state product.
- The average annual compensation in manufacturing is $64,913, [a] 44.2% higher than non-manufacturing sectors.
- Manufacturing’s share of Pennsylvania exports is 90%.
- Manufacturing accounts for 70% of all research and development expenditures in Pennsylvania. Total annual R&D investment is $9.8 billion.
Some of the recommendations highlighted on page ten were:
- Develop an “Adopt a School” Program led by the manufacturing community
- Industry-led standardization of skill needs and curriculum
- Better connect job seekers with job openings in manufacturing sector
- Expand and better support career and technical education in Pennsylvania
- Support proven strategies to increase workforce pipeline for manufacturers
- Create measures and support systems for educators and school districts
To read the full report go to www.teampa.com/manufacturingcouncil.